Day 1: Portland

I left Pittsburgh at 6 P.M. EST the night before and landed in Portland at 9:30 P.M. PST (12:30 EST) and it was pushing 10:30 P.M. PST by the time I reached the Airbnb booked.


The place was interesting… I’m not so sure about the part of town.  It kind of seemed shady but when I left in the morning the doors were all unlocked.  Hey, these guys lived there; they would know.  My internal clock basically tells me to wake up whenever 6 A.M. comes so I can go to work and it was very much still running on EST since I woke up at 3 A.M. PST.  I slept on and off until about 7 so I gathered my things and left.


I stopped in at McDonalds to grab a burrito figuring I’d stop for lunch at some point (I didn’t…).  The I made my way down to Tualatin and grabbed my box of gear from Fedex.


I then picked up the bike and returned the rental car.  Now it was time to the stuff I was able to make fit back home fit again.  This became challenging.  I knew I stuck a couple extra small things in the box before I shipped it but damn it if nothing fit.  Everything has its place I guess.


After about 2 hours just about everything was packed.  I was trying force my riding pants into the left side pannier a I managed to tip the bike slightly past center and CRASH; down it went.  The first drop of the trip, in the shipping company’s parking lot…  I wish I had a picture of it but I immediately rushed to pick it up.  Oh yeah, WOW it is heavy loaded up.

Shortly after the drop, we set off.  I hit a gas station where I immediately got to feel like an ass because I didn’t have money to tip the full-service person.  (Yes, that’s still a thing in Oregon; it’s actually the law)  I didn’t feel so bad though since the lady let me pump it myself after she swiped my card.


I set off for the day and about 35 miles in I stopped to take this cool shot of the reservoir and notice a smoking from my right pannier and then this…


The rear of the bag slipped off the rail and started melting through the bag. Fortunately I caught it in time and was able to adjust it and throw a little duct tape over it.


A sheriff came by and asking if everything was good.  I told him yes and he gave me a thumbs up and left.  Far different from back home we’re just three weeks ago Ryan and I had to explain numerous times to the ranger that we had no intention off riding anything other than the dirt back roads.

I ultimately made it out of the forest area and down to the Hwy 101 where.  It had been raining for about 2 hours at this point.  I rode through the rain for a about 45 minute to an hour until I reached Lincoln City, OR and got my first proper look at the ocean.  I found a section where they let you ride onto the beach.  Awesome.  Unfortunately, I had to stay on the bike because the ground was too soft and the kickstand was sinking in.

IMG_1647 IMG_1648 IMG_1649

I made my way to a parking lot where I could scheme on where to stay tonight and I figured I’d head another 20 miles to Newport; where I found a cheap motel that was very shady.  They only had 1 room available and it was a 2 bed or there was a guy canceling and that one could open up. I was hoping for the cancelled room once everything went through. I ultimately decided to pass after an argument broke out between the owner and the customer trying to get a refund and a drug addict was hoping to get cancelled room.


So I cruised down the coast for another hour looking for a place to stay snapping pics along the way.

IMG_1654 IMG_1655 IMG_1656 IMG_1657 IMG_1658  IMG_1660  IMG_1662 IMG_1663  IMG_1665

Finally, after hours in the rain, no food and no water left I decided I’d had enough.  It was getting dark so I grabbed the first place in Yachats.  Got the room, unloaded and then went to the market to grab some food.  Soup sounded good so but all of the cooking gear was metal so I couldn’t microwave it.  We got creative…


The place also had a sauna light so that was key in drying some of the riding gear.

IMG_1667 IMG_1668 IMG_1669 IMG_1670

So here we are.  Eating and blogging.  160 miles completed today.  I planned for 125 originally since I wasn’t going to get riding until the afternoon.  Port Orford tomorrow and maybe the first leg of the trail.  Hopefully I can get some sleep, the room next door just had some people come in and they have young kids.  All they’ve done is scream for the last hour…


Leave a Reply